Blueberry and Courgette Cake


I like making cakes with vegetables, and have made a few different ones, but this is the first time I've tried making one with vegetables and fruit. I defrosted the big freezer and found a lot of blueberries I needed to use up, so this cake seemed a good way of using some of them.
I found the recipe in an old pull-out for Woman's Weekly magazine, but have changed several things to suit my taste. I also halved the recipe as the original one made 2 cakes.

Preheat oven 180C/gas4
Grease a 20cm springform cake tin.

Beat together 2 medium eggs, 125ml sunflower oil, 2 tspn vanilla extract and 225g caster sugar till nice and fluffy. Stir in 125g of grated courgette.
Sift together 185g plain flour with 1/2 tspn baking powder, 1/2 tspn salt, 1/8 tspn bicarb and 2 tspn cinnamon then fold into the wet mixture.
Gently stir in 165g fresh blueberries and mix.
Spoon into the tin and bake for about 35-45 mins. Cool in the tin for 20 mins then turn onto a wire rack.




The courgette made the cake moist; the blueberries were defrosted, so perhaps this added to the moisture. The time stated for baking wasn't enough- it took about 55 mins to bake. The top was crunchy and I was happy with the way the blueberries had spread out in the cake. There wasn't enough courgette to really see any specks of green, but it had a nice soft crumb and a good flavour with a nice hint of cinnamon. To me though, it was really a blueberry cake, and I don't think the courgette added much to it.







Comments

Well, a blueberry cake would go down very well with me. I'm a bit of a fan of courgette cakes, although I usually make them in the late summer when there's a glut. I've found them a bit unpredictable, though, because the amount of moisture that they add seems to be very variable.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

My favourite Plum Tart

Aberffraw cakes