Yoghurt , Peach and Semolina Cake


I'm sorting out my food cupboards, checking on use by dates etc. and I came across a some tinned peaches that needed to be used up. I'm not a great fan of peaches, but quite like them in cakes, so decided to make one from a recipe I made ages ago at a cookery class. It uses semolina as well as flour, and also yoghurt, so a bit different.

I used a 200g loaf tin greased and lined with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180C/gas5

To make the cake you need 50g butter, 100g caster sugar, 1 tspn vanilla extract, 2 eggs - separated. Beat the butter, sugar, vanilla extract and egg yolks together till nice and white and fluffy. Add 250g plain yoghurt and mix in.
Mix together 125g plain flour, 2 tspn baking powder and 125g semolina and add to the batter.
Whisk the 2 egg whites till stiff then fold carefully into the cake mixture. 
Put half of the mixture into the cake tin. Chop up 200g peaches halves or slices into dice and add half to the cake tin on top of the batter. Put the rest of the cake batter on top and finish with the rest of the peaches.
Bake for about and hour till golden. Have a look at the cake towards the end, after about 45 mins, to make sure the top isn't burning or getting too dark. Cover with a piece of foil if it is.
Cool cake in the tin for 10 mins then turn onto a wire rack to cool.





I doubled the recipe and made 2 cakes, as I needed one for a coffee morning. The yoghurt makes the cake really moist; it has a nice fine texture and is light and fruity. I like the fruit going through the cake, rather than just on top. You could use other fruit like raspberries, apples, pears or plums. It makes a good dessert too, with maybe some crème fraîche or ice cream.









Comments

Tinned fruit can work really well in cakes and this looks like a good one to me. Personally, I love some cake as a dessert.

Popular posts from this blog

Lemon Coconut Slices

Aberffraw cakes

My favourite Plum Tart